ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddPhotography Blog

Friday, July 18, 2008

Poor Sick Baby Child



My little Jamesy poo is sick :(

Yesterday in the early afternoon, we were playing on the floor and he was warm so I decided to take his temp. 102.8, yikes, no wonder he was a little warm. I gave him some Motrin and decided I should call the doc. That's what first time mommies do right? They told me the usual, things to try to get the fever to come down, when to call back if it is still high, yadda yadda yadda. She was asking me about how much fluids he had drank. Next to none, I tried hard though! She asks me if there is ANY way I could get him to drink something. Ahhh yes, the bottle that he loves so dearly and mean mommy took away. This was the fourth day with no bottle. He lit up like nothing I have ever seen when he saw that bottle. Needless to say, I wouldn't doubt that he drank 40+oz last night out of that bottle. Only because he is sick, that bottle will be gone again, SOON!

James takes his afternoon nap, an hour after that I take his temp again and it is still 102.8. This was after about 4 1/2 hours from when I medicated him. So I call back, they tell me since he is not showing any other symptoms I can just wait it out and give him more medicine, or they would be more than willing to take a look at him. So, I give him more Motrin, wait an hour, check his temp. 104! He started kinda shaking so, I was kinda freaking out (like a good first time mommy does) thinking he was going to have a seizure or something. The shaking was because we had our air on full blast and in my mind baby with a fever should be nakie. Poor freezing baby. Golly gee! I pack him into his car seat and away to urgent care we go.

No joke, we see a nurse, she takes his temp 98.6! My face turned a couple different shades of red. That was in his arm pit, I request rectal. 103. Ok, now I don't look like some weirdo! That is still not bad for an infant, but I think I get myself worked up easily and think something MAJOR is wrong. Better to be safe than sorry. A top motto I live by. The doctor comes in, checks his ears, "bright red," he says.
Checks his throat, "beet red," he continues.

No cough, and no pulling at his ears. hmmm, kinda strange...looks like I have a kid that just deals with his pain. He must get that from me, definitely not from his dad! They did a quick ? strep test, and it was negative. He said the culture could still come back positive, and wanted to treat him for it anyway. He is on antibiotics for the first time. Poor kid. He was up from 11:00pm-4:00am screaming his little head off. I tried everything! Finally I put some cartoons on, we lay on the couch, and he falls fast asleep on my chest. He at least got a good three hours of sleep last night. He is napping right now and has been for the last two hours. I think that is where I need to be too!!
Props to anyone who finished this mess of a post. Just a first time mom making a big deal out of something that isn't- WHAT??!? That NEVER happens! At least I know I do it...right?
Maybe later I will update this post with a picture, a sick baby child picture.

11 comments:

Kate said...

Poor baby!! I hope he feels better soon. I've been there too a few times. And maybe it is a ftm thing, but I did the exact same thing as you. I called repeatedly though. The dr's office probably thinks I'm crazy. Oh well. I hope you get some sleep tonight!

Unknown said...

I hope he feels better soon. Poor little bug.

Not just FTM. This is my 3rd kid and I have never been as much at a doctor's office as with him.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! poor lil Jimmyjam, he looks a little under the weather! Grammy

Melissa said...

awww, poor jamsie! Hope he gets better soon!

Flower said...

I have two kids and still freak out. I am so scared of seizures. If the fever doesn't come down after medicating them, I rush out to urgent care. I am with you on the "better safe than sorry" theory.

I hope he was feeling better after his nap.

I am sending get well vibes to James for the weekend.

Flower

That Nora Girl said...

I'm a "better safe than sorry" mom too. One time Liam had a fever and I left work and called the after-hours number like three times. I'm a wreck about that stuff. They can't talk! We have to be their voices!! Right...? :)

I hope James feels better really soon. Poor little baby! Keep us updated, I'll be thinking of him. He is such a little sweetheart.

Melissa said...

How is Mr Jamesie this morning??

Kari-Anne said...

Hope he is feeling better :o) I sent you a e-mail ....

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy, he looks so flushed and unhappy. I'm glad he's feeling better now. I wouldn't have known what to do either, so don't feel bad!

EthansMommy said...

Poor little fellow. Hope he feels better by now!

Anonymous said...

poor Jamesy poo! And u couldn't come to Grandma's :( Well i'm glad he's feeling better! I would have taken him to the doctor too!